Fernand Leduc was born in Viauville, Quebec, in 1916. He joined the Automatistes while still a student at the Montreal School of Fine Arts, but in the mid-1950s his pictorial explorations brought him closer to the Plasticiens movement. His work has been the subject of many retrospectives since the 1970s. The Musée des beaux-arts de Chartres and the Musée du Nouveau Monde de La Rochelle organized a retrospective of his work in 1985, which would later tour Canada. Leduc was awarded the Prix Louis-Philippe-Hébert in 1979, the Prix Paul-Émile-Borduas in 1988, and the Governor General’s Award in Visual and Media Arts in 2007. In 2006, after living for many years in Paris and Italy, Leduc returned to Montreal, where he remained until his death in 2014.