Kittie Bruneau began her art education at the École des beaux-arts de Montréal in 1946, but quit in 1949 to study under Ghitta Caiserman at the Montreal Artist School. A year later, she moved to Paris to work as a professional ballet dancer. Bruneau returned to Québec in 1958 and completed her studies at the École des beaux-arts de Montréal in 1971. Throughout her career, she received many grants from the Canada Council for the Arts and the Quebec Ministry of Cultural Affairs, which allowed her to practice her art both in Canada and abroad. In 1966, the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal presented a solo exhibition of her work. Unassociated with any specific aesthetic movement, Bruneau’s surrealist- and Automatiste-inspired work has been presented numerous times since the 1960s, and was the subject of retrospectives in 1990 and 1999. Her paintings are part of many important collections, including the Musée national des beaux-arts de Québec and the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal.
Galerie Charlotte Frenette, Saint-Charles-de-Bellechasse
Private collection, Québec